ubl message

Subject: Minutes of the Pacific TC call 3 June 2004

MINUTES OF THE PACIFIC UBL TC CALL 3 JUNE 2004

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak
   G. Ken Holman
   Noboru Itoh
   Sunho Kim
   Thomas Lee
   Tim McGrath
   Yukinori Saito
   Kumar Sivaraman
   Patrick Yee

CALENDAR REVIEW

   TM has been invited to attend the next APEC eBiz Forum 25 July
   in Bangkok.  APEC is using ebXML to facilitate paperless
   trading; see

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200406/msg00010.html

EVENT REPORTS

   TM: The Open Forum was held jointly with ISO TC 32 (11179) and
   got 70-100 people.  UBL is very much a use case for 11179, so
   it was interesting to hear from the owners of 11179 how their
   work should be interpreted.  We will maintain communication
   with that group.  Tim and Thomas spoke back-to-back, and their
   presentations were well received.  The International eBusiness
   Forum in Seoul got a large audience, with about 30-40 people in
   the section addressed by Tim.

   TM: In all meetings attended: impressed by the amount of real
   work already completed in Asia, especially in China, and the
   interest they show in how they can merge their efforts with
   ebXML and UBL.  ebXML is very much alive and dominating the
   interest of people in Asia.

LIAISON REPORTS

   TL (secretariat of the CC Task Force of the ebXML Asia
   Committee): The CC Task Force, chaired by KIEC (Korea) and TCOM
   (Taipei), is creating a library of CCs for cross-border trade
   in Asia; more than 1000 candidate CCs have already been
   submitted.  They are using TBG17 spreadsheets to compare
   submissions against existing CCs and will make change requests
   to TBG17.  They are not yet considering schema implementations
   of the CCs.  We believe that this task force will be a good
   source of locale-specific information for UBL.

JPLSC REPORT

   JB: It's not clear how large an effect the 1.0 bug fixes will
   have on translation.  Corrections to the UBL names will need to
   be reflected in the translations.  There are no corrections yet
   to the definitions.

   YS: We have added a column for data types to the JPLSC
   spreadsheet.  An example will be posted to the ubl list.

   TM: Because of naming rules, the data type (i.e.,
   representation term) does not always appear in the name.  We
   shouldd be translating the representation term, not the data
   type.

   We agree that the addition of this column can be left to the
   individual translation team; we will look at Saito-san's work
   and decide whether this should be generally adopted.

   YS: We have a number of questions based on the translation work
   so far.

   We agree that YS should review these questions with members of
   the JPLSC and post translations of the questions to the ubl
   list.

   The JPLSC report can be found at

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200406/msg00008.html

CNLSC

   PY: Nothing to report this week.

KRLSC

   SK: Sunho and Jason Lee will talk about the KRLSC schedule
   after this meeting.

CCTS SCHEMAS

   TM: The important thing is that we have drawn a line in the
   sand, and if ATG does not agree, we will have a difficult
   decision.  It's important that ATG2 consider the proposals that
   Garret and Tim made, specifically with respect to the names of
   the supplementary components.  These are the names of the
   actual supplementary components and hence the name of
   attributes in the instances.

CALL SCHEDULING

   YS: The work is underway, and we don't have much to say every
   week.  We suggest that we report only when something changes,
   or once a month in any case.

   After some discussion, we arrived at the following plan:

    - The Pacific call will continue to be held at this time
      (00h30-02h30 GMT) every Thursday.

    - Notes from the Atlantic call held 9.5 hours earlier will be
      available in mail; if anyone has something to say about the
      issues covered in that meeting, they should be sure to call
      in.

    - Patrick and Thomas plan to attend twice a month and will
      report on any news regarding Asian initiatives.

    - Interim reports of changes in status should be sent by mail
      to the whole TC.

    - In any case, a monthly written report should be submitted to
      the TC in time to be considered at the following Pacific TC
      meeting.  The first batch of progress reports should
      therefore be sent to the TC 30 June 2004 so that they can be
      reviewed during the Pacific meeting 1 July.

COML PROPOSAL

   Action: Tim will contact Crimson Logic to identify what's
   needed to incorporate the COML proposal into UBL 1.1 and report
   back next week if possible; so make this an item of business
   for this call next week.