ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Discussion of substitution groups

Title: Re: [ubl] Discussion of substitution groups
If that is by using the version attribute alone (Note it appears
few tools support the version attribute) then how would this
information get into instances? If the answer is that it wouldn't
then I agree with Tony that that would be a serious concern.

All the best

Steve
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 11:50 AM

>In transactional messaging, there can be the risk of legal consequences if
you don't know exactly which version of a message Schema applies to an
message instance, since each Schema version is like a different version of
a contract, and you introduce a business risk of you decide do something
under the terms of a contract, without checking which version of the
contract actually applies.

>The upshot is that each message instance really should identify which
Schema, and which version of that Schema, applies to it.  The most popular
way to do this is to have a unique namespace for each version of each
Schema.  The way I like to do it, sometimes in addition to the namespace
technique, is to provide top-level attributes which have a fixed value
that is required to appear, and which identify the Schema and version.
Sometimes people try to use the 'schemaLocation' to provide Schema version
information, but this is a fragile technique that I don't recommend in
general.

Remember - ATG is just not using minor versioning of the namespaces.  They continue to use minor versioning of the schema.  The namespaces is only a conceptual holder used to differentiate conflicting names.