ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Definitions in WD8 that contain non-ASCII characters

Thanks you for this detailed list and your other informative email messages today Ken.

When we look at your discoveries of issues and questions, plus the previously identified spreadsheet editorial issues from Tim McGrath, once again, we see the numerous disadvantages, time delays, and additional volunteer effort created by using hand crafted spreadsheets.

Regards,
Sylvia

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Ken Holman [mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 8:14 AM
To: Universal Business Language

I note in the following definitions that non-ASCII characters are used for punctuation.  I suggest that we change these to dumb ASCII punctuation characters in order to help with anyone wishing to process the content without tripping over character set and encoding problems.

Witness (at least on my screen) how the UTF-8 encoding of the special punctuation characters messes up the definition when in my email message (if you cannot see this mess then your email system is interpreting the UTF-8 characters properly).

I'm not suggesting pure ASCII definitions with any bias to the English language, rather, it is for cases such as using the definitions in email where the email system is not UTF-8 aware, that problems are caused as noted below.  Only five definitions need to be changed.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . Ken

p.s. 1370 descriptions do not end with "." and 597 descriptions do end with "."

ApplicationResponse [2]: ApplicationResponse (Application Response):
  a document to indicate the application’s response to a transaction. This may be a business reposnse and/or a technical response, sent automatically by an application or initiated by a user.

AttachedDocument [2]: AttachedDocument (Attached Document):
  A ’wrapper’ UBL document that can contain anything. This allows a referenced document to be included in the package of documents being exchanged.

CommonLibrary [41]: SequenceNumeric (Allowance Charge):
  Identifies the numerical order sequence in which Allowance Charges are calculated when multiple Allowance Charges apply. If all Allowance Charges apply to the same Base Amount, SequenceNumeric will be ‘1’ for all Allowance Charges

CommonLibrary [725]: FamilyName (Person):
  A Person’s surname or family name

CommonLibrary [953]: CalculationSequenceNumeric (Tax Sub Total):
  Identifies the numerical order sequence in which taxes are applied when multiple taxes are attracted. If all taxes apply to the same Taxable Amount, CalculationSequenceNumeric will be ‘1’ for all taxes

--
Registration open for UBL training:    Montréal, Canada 2006-08-07
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04