ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] A discussion topic for Manhattan - modelling UBLExtensions

At 2008-01-19 12:13 +0900, Tim McGrath wrote:
>I see this as part of the customization package.  That is, using
>UBLExtension effectively to maximize the possibilites for
>interoperability.  The UBLExtension structure is a technical device
>to permit schema validation but it does not change the need for
>extensions to be customized consistently.
>
>In my mind the process is:
>a. extensions are designed (hopefully using the UBL approach - that
>we are still defining)
>b. developers may choose to implement this as UBL extension or
>standalone schemas or do validation in other ways (schematron, etc)
>
>the choice of (b.) should not affect (a.)  That is we design these
>extensions the same way regardless of implementation.
>
>And so apart from saying the above, we cannot say much in the Update
>package without referring to the Customization paper.

I agree with all of the above ...

>Have I got your concerns right?

Not quite, though your reference to "technical device" is close ... I
think Jon saw where I was going.  I was thinking about the mechanics
of the spreadsheet models, not about the customization approaches.

At 2008-01-19 06:53 -0800, jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:
>We can discuss this in Manhattan, but you'll remember that we
>determined the extension point to be semantically empty.  If that's
>the case, I don't think we want it in the spreadsheets.

I think I've been mollified on this ... it has been niggling at me
for a while so let me see if I still have an issue when we meet next week.

Thanks, Tim and Jon,

Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc