Subject: Re: [uddi-spec] WSDL TN: Claus's Issues

Sam,

I quite agree with you.  We have already added migration as a goal in the
document (but you have not seen that) but I think we need to go further and
decide what to do about supporting concurrent access via both UDDI V2 and V3
APIs.  There is an obvious tension between using the new facilities in V3
and supporting backward compatibility with V2.  Some things we don't have
any choice about, but where we do have a choice we need to think carefully
about whether we describe an approach that is compatible with V2 or we
optimise the use of V3.  If there is significant value in using a V3 feature
that is not compatible with V2 then I think we should describe how to
migrate a V2/common entity to the V3-only form, and also how to create a
V3-only mapping.  I think there is only one possible candidate for that,
described below.

My new proposal has already addressed the wsdlDeployment issue (but I am
going to say more in response to Karsten's note) so that leaves two other
issues to resolve:
1) The categoryBag on a bindingTemplate.
2) The use of "wsdlInterface" as a useType attribute on a tModel
overviewURL.

Issue 1 is by far the most significant and is the only possible candidate
for special treatment I mentioned above.  The V3 spec. does not describe
what a V2 client would see for a bindingTemplate with a categoryBag but the
only thing that would make sense would be for the V2 client to see the
bindingTemplate without the categoryBag.  We could therefore duplicate the
port local name in V3 so that it appeared as both a tModelInstanceInfo and a
category and the bindingTemplate could appear to a V2 client like a regular
bindingTemplate produced according to the V2 mapping in the TN, but it could
also appear as a V3 bindingTemplate with a categoryBag that can be used to
search on.

So, I think we can provide backward-compatibility at the cost of duplicating
the portName.  It is fairly easy to see how we can migrate the
bindingTemplate to the full-function V3 version with a categoryBag as we
have access to the necessary information.

The V3 spec. does not describe what a V2 client would see for an overviewURL
that used the new useType attribute on an overviewURL but I would assume
that the attribute was ignored so I think that would be OK.  Again, we can
easily migrate the V2 version to the V3 version in a way that will look the
same to a V2 client of a V2/V3 registry.

John