uiml message

Subject: Re: [uiml] Schedule of items to be completed before voting on theCommittee Specification

Hi,

> More organizational stuff:

Below my personal opinion. What does the rest of the TC think?

> - Is there really sufficient difference (or progress) w.r.t. the 3.0
> specification to have a 4.0 specification? (don't want to start a riot
> here, just to make sure there is a good motivation for doing this).

I think so, additional to minor changes we introduced three major
modifications
(layout, variables with arithmetic, template parameters) which resulted
in about 10 new elements and has effects on most elements of the
specification.

> - Can we split up the document, e.g. like the GRDDL specification does
> it:
>  => Specification Document (Metamodel, Namespaces, Schema and DTD
> stuff, explanation for each element, mainly suitable for implementers of
> UIML renderers and translators, but also for UIML users to get to know
> the details)
>  => Use Case Document (cases that cover the whole specification, with
> examples, suitable for testing UIML renderers and translators but also
> for UIML users)
>  => Primer document  (introduction document to the technology, links to
> implementation, suitable for UIML users)

Would be very nice to have, but this would probably delay the completion
of the standard.

>> I have found several small points for improvement/corrections in the
>> document. How should we proceed?
>> Should all the TC-members edit with "track changes" on in parallel and
>> James tries to update the input
>> he gets or should we pass the document as a token sequentially?
>
> Can we do it in the Wiki?

You did not know the pains I suffered to get the stuff into the Wiki
and the pains James suffered to reconstruct the specification from
the Wiki again ;-) So as much as I usually like collaborating through
a Wiki, in this case I am against it.

Best regards,
Robbie.
--
   _/ Dipl. Inf. Robbie Schaefer _/ Phone: +49 5251 60-6107  _/
  _/ Visual Interactive Systems _/ Fax: +49 5251 60-6065    _/