unitsml message

Subject: Re: [unitsml] Groups - UnitsML TC Agenda for Sept. 12, 2007 (UnitsMLTC-agenda-2007-09-12.doc) uploaded

All,

   I also have just a few comments:

1.) I may be missing this, but there appears to be no element
    for quantity definitions. This seems like an important
    piece of information. I would recommend that we add such
    an element (and allow for multiple instances in different
    languages).

2.) The comment "<!-- REVISE -->" appears in the definition
    of the quantityType attribute. I don't know the exact
    meaning of this attribute. I think we should discuss:
    1.) what it means, 2.) why it is required, and 3.) why
    there is a comment requesting a revision.

3.) In regard to Craig's comment below about degrees Rankine,
    I would like to note that I have seen both usages so both
    are used in practice. NIST publication 811 uses the term
    "degrees Rankine" in the conversion tables, but I don't
    know if 811 is an authoritative reference for non-SI units.
    (It is, of course, authoritative for SI units.) In any case
    it is important to note that in terms of the UnitsML schema
    the enumerated unit identifiers only have meaning in terms
    of their documented corresponding units. We have chosen
    terms which roughly match U.S. English usage for convenience;
    we could have named the identifier "XJ4234" and UnitsML
    would still work properly as long as this identifier was
    documented as referring to the Rankine temperature scale.

Peter