Subject: Re: [virtio-comment] Re: Feedback: TAB-555 Bad sub-sectioning

Rusty,

+1! to waiting until the changes are done to revisit this comment.

I "cringe" to say so but if called upon to choose, I would opt for
readability so long as I didn't stray too often from normal structure
(may my favorite English teacher forgive me). ;-)

Hope you are having a great week!

Patrick

On 02/17/2014 08:08 PM, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> writes:
>>
>> Rusty,
>>
>> I did a bad job explaining that one. My bad.
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Actually, I should have read your following section on hanging
> paragraphs: together they make a great deal of sense.
>
> I'm still going to disagree, though :)
>
>> So at first blush I would say:
>>
>> 2.2 Features
>>
>> 2.2.1 Feature Bits Interface
>>
>> 2.2.2 Legacy Interface: A Note on transitions from earlier
>> drafts
>
> I cringe when I'm faced with reading documents structured like
> this. There's a tension between the flow of the document which
> makes it readable as a whole, and its use as a reference which
> makes it readable in parts.
>
> I want both.  The section 2.2 text should contain welcoming text
> which introduces the whole section, and the normative parts (aka
> reference) should be called out into sections.
>
> I'm restructuring the document to tease out the normative
> statements; let's see how that goes then revisit this.
>
> Thanks, Rusty.
>

> This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
>
> OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.
>

> In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
>
> to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
>
> before posting.
>

> Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org

> List archive:
> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/
>
> Feedback License:
> https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
>
> List Guidelines:
>
> Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
>
> Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau