Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] [RFC RESEND] virtio-video: Add virtio video device specification

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 12:50 AM Enrico Granata <egranata@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:30 AM Keiichi Watanabe <keiichiw@chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:32 PM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >   Hi,

> > > No.  Submit as separate one-liner patch which does nothing but grabbing
> > > an ID.
> >
> > Thanks. I sent https://markmail.org/message/jpjekiq7c4gkp6jt

> > > Ok, that'll work.
> > >
> > > I've linked fourcc to drm fourcc codes in my head, and drm hasn't codes
> > > for the compressed formats.
> > >
> > > When defining things this way we should of course make sure that the raw
> > > format codes are identical to the ones drm uses.
> > >

> > Yes. For Linux, though we have different constants for drm foucc and
> > video fourcc,
> > actual values are identical.
> > (e.g. DRM_FORMAT_NV12 and V4L2_PIX_FMT_NV12)
> > Then, we will have one more constant representing the same format for virtio.
> >
> > > Is there a formal standard for these codes btw?
> >
> > RFC2361 defines FOURCCs for several formats, but it's not a formal
> > standard iiuc.
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2361

> > > I don't think so.  A device might want support multiple kinds of buffer
> > > management, most notably both their own buffers and imported buffers.
> > > Indicating which methods are available can be done with feature flags,
> > > but actually picking one not.
> > >

> > Ah, you're right. Then, we might want to extend SET_PARAM or add a new control
> > to specify a way of buffer management.
> >

> I think we need both. Feature flag(s) would give out the list of
> supported mechanism for a given device and driver.
> Out of the intersection, a new control can be used in order to pick
> the one actually being used for a given transaction.

Ah, I meant that we need to extend a control in addition to a feature
flag. Sorry for the
unclear reply.

On second thought, I wonder if we can set a type of buffer management methods in
STREAM_CREATE by adding fields like this:

enum virtio_video_buffer_type {
        VIRTIO_VIDEO_BUF_TYPE_ALLOCATE,
        /* VIRTIO_VIDEO_BUF_TYPE_IMPORT will be added */
};

struct virtio_video_stream_create {
        struct virtio_video_ctrl_hdr hdr;
        le32 in_buf_type;  /* One of VIRTIO_VIDEO_BUF_TYPE_* */
        le32 out_buf_type;
        char debug_name[64];
};

wdyt?