Subject: Re: workprocess - changes comments

[Terry Allen:]

| Which members get to vote?  The Bylaws don't separate the sheep from
| the goats in this regard, and the OASIS page on benefits of membership
| talks about voting for Directors and TRs only.

If you pick up sections 1-5 of article 12 and shake them hard enough,
the following things fall out:

1. Members are of two kinds: voting and non-voting.

2. Anyone can be a member who pays the dues.

3. The oasis board sets the dues.

Add them up and I think they give the board the authority to set dues
based on membership levels.  They've done so in such a way that the
voting memberships are expensive and therefore attractive only to
organizations while the non-voting memberships are cheap and are
available only to individuals.

Notice that the proposed committee process gives individuals voting
rights within committees.  The voting/non-voting distinction applies
to elections of the board of directors and actions taken in full
assembly as specified in Article 13 of the by-laws.

Jon

P.S. My hands are staging an insurrection against working the shift
key to get uppercase in OASIS, XML, Directors, By-laws, etc.  I don't
know whether this is a temporary work stoppage or something more
serious.