Subject: NEW ISSUE: misplaced guidance on fault handling

Title: Misplaced guidance on fault handling

Line 566 CD3 WS-RM spec (SeqAck section 3.6) reads:

If a non-mustUnderstand fault occurs when processing an RM Header that was piggy-backed on
another message, a fault MUST be generated, but the processing of the original
message MUST NOT be affected.

First point, this text isn't very clear. Second, it is IMO misplaced. It really should be called out separately
as it applies to more than just SequenceAcks.

Justification:

This guidance is in the SeqAck section and really deserves to stand on its own as it applies to any
RM header block that is piggy-backed on a message unrelated to the Sequence.

Target: core

Proposal:

Strike sentence beginning on line 566, through line 568.

Insert, after line 232:

When processing of an RM protocol element generates a fault and that RM protocol element
pertains to a Sequence that is otherwise unrelated to the message in which the protocol element is contained,
(i.e. the RM protocol element is a SequenceAcknowledgement or AcksRequested element) the receiving endpoint MUST continue
normal processing the message unless the generated fault is a SOAP MustUnderstand fault.

After matter:

Note that this says nothing about transmission of the generated fault. I personally believe that we
should leave well enough alone, however, I recognize that this MAY present interoperability
issues, especially in the case where both the [reply] endpoint and the [fault] endpoint are
anonymous. I COULD see adding guidance that says that when the above criteria are met
that the endpoint MUST NOT transmit the fault to the anon endpoint UNLESS there is
no response message to be transmitted.

STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440