Subject: Re: [ws-rx] i119 - discussion of ballot

Everyone will have their own definition of "corner case" but since I think a lot (most?)
people view ref-params as info that is used for routing purposes it only seems
natural (IMO) to view them as critical pieces of data when trying to determine if a
message is going to the right place.  WSA itself defines ref-params as:

A reference may contain a number of individual parameters that are associated
with the endpoint to facilitate a particular interaction. Reference parameters are
namespace-qualified element information items that are required to properly
interact with the endpoint.

"required to properly interact" - doesn't seem that WSA views the importance of
these as "corner cases" either.  But, without knowledge of what each ref-param
is actually used for (whether its for routing or just for some header to be included
in the msg) it would seem that for interop purposes the RMD should take the safest
approach and check them all.  Maybe this is an argument for a "SHOULD" instead
of a "MUST" when doing the checking?

I do agree with your comment that it would be far more optimal if we could just
look at the wsa:Address but given that we have ref-p's I don't see how we can
avoid 'em.

If I understand your 'uncoordinated' comment correctly, you're saying that a
gateway should know how to route the message, right?  But if the Body is
intended for backend#1 and the Ack is intended for backend#2 how would
that work? Or are you suggesting that the gateway should split the msg into
pieces and send each part to the correct backend machine? Or are you
requiring that the gateway machine understand all possible RM states
for all backend machines?

thanks,
-Doug

Doug Bunting <Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM

05/22/2006 11:57 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [ws-rx] i119 - discussion of ballot

Doug,

Some of this discussion certainly happened in the "chat room".  I
(separately from the interop question) asked there why we were
optimizing for the clustered corner case?  In the far more common case
where one system is an RMS for multiple ongoing conversations, latency
would be greatly reduced if /every/ message intended for that
transfer-level destination were able to carry /every/ available
acknowledgement.

As well, a correctness issue arises if and only if the clustered RMS is
completely uncoordinated.  Seems as if we're optimizing for the poor
implementation of a corner case.

thanx,
   doug