Subject: RE: Proposal for resolving issue 33 ( was RE: [ws-sx] Issue 33: Identity security header components that are encrypted when using (A)Symmetric binding)

The thinking around encryption of username token is that in cases where
it contains a plain-text or digest password it's insecure to send the
username token in the clear, so either message level or transport level
encryption needs to be used. This is called out (albeit as a
RECOMMENDED) in the WSS Username Token Profile[1] around line 165.

I understand that the same requirement might apply to a SAML token.

Gudge