Subject: RE: [ws-tx] Issues list link

Mark (and Ram),

This matter of uploading TC-canonical files to the Kavi document
repository *and* to the OASIS Open Library is a bit of a nuisance,
occasioned by the fact that the OOLibrary is not yet built
to support automated notifications and other administrative/
workflow features that ARE currently supported in Kavi. [1]

WS-TX Issues list for linking:

Version specific:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/issues/WSTransactionIssues-008.xml

Latest: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/issues/WSTransactionIssues.xml

More risk is involved in creating deep links into the 'Latest' document,
[for example: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/issues/WSTransactionIssues.xml#foo23 ]
because it assumes that all secondary reference IDs (URI references
to the fragment) will continue to work, through time, because the
Issues List editors carefully maintain [e.g., never reuse or retire] the
fragment portion IDs, *and* that all text content at these locations
remains reasonably stable.

In other words: for general reference and bookmarking, it's better to
reference the 'Latest' version URI; for deep linking, it's probably
safer and more informative to use a URI reference like this:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/issues/WSTransactionIssues-008.xml#foo23

Of course, I'm quite sure the WS-TX Issues List editors are aware of the
matter, and are careful to protect the consistent use of all internal IDs,
but just in case...

Cheers,

Robin Cover

[1] For many use cases, including the issues list implementation worked
out by Marc Goodner and his colleagues, TCs need to be able to design
predictable, persistent URIs that contain no "magic key" added
gratuitiously and unpredictably by a CMS [that would be Kavi], so OASIS
wants to migrate approved documents to the OASIS Open Library, where
we can pre-assign and otherwise conpletely control URIs.  OOLibrary
is at http://docs.oasis-open.org/

OASIS IT Staff is producing a web-based GUI upload tool [it's now
under design/development] -- this will allow TCs to upload files directly
to their assigned TC website areas, as well as to create directories,
create aliases (symlinks), and perform other document management operations.

Meantime, manual upload operations and bifurcated processes are rather
clunky -- no need to agree so emphatically!