Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 77 - Under specified operation definitions

Paco,

    You put this very well (and lot more clearly than when I mentioned
"secondary protocols" without elaborating on what that meant!).

    I think a lot of this debate has to do with what people expect to do
with those SOAP headers. Some hold that they are suitable only for
lower-level layers of protocol stacks, and certainly are not of concern
at the business process level (as you say, it is relegated to the
middleware). Others see a need to use SOAP headers for application-level
purposes, or some business-level "awareness" of lower-level protocols
(e.g., identity of  the signer of a document).

    I'll forgo comment on the dangers of all this SOAP-centric thinking;
Satish has done a good job of articulating the WSDL-centric viewpoint
(about which he and I are in agreement, I believe). However, we may need
to discuss the above viewpoints (middleware vs. application use of
"secondary protocols"). Can we (the TC, that is) agree that there is a
clear separation between WSDL-described business messages, and
lower-level protocols used primarily for QoS purposes?

    And where, in this careful separation of concerns, does
WS-Addressing fit in? It seems to be peeking through to the business
level, and thus requires support in the BPEL language. Are there other
candidates that fit this pattern?

Best regards,
-Ron