Subject: Re: [wsrf] WS-RAP; section 2.3 - WS-Resource definition

Folks,

This issue has come up in other discussions I have had, particularly
with folks less enthusiastic about WSRF. Put generally ...

If I have a WS and a bunch of resources, I have a set of WS-Resources
with a one-to-one correspondence to the resources. Because all the
WS-Resources share the same WS they can respond to the operations.
Rich's question (and that of others) is, can I drive the same operation
on all WS-Resources at once?

Answer 1: Yes, create a new Disambiguator that refers to the whole
collection. Steve pointed to this option.

Answer 2: Wrap the set of WS-Resources in a ServiceGroup and drive the
operation on all WS-Resources through an iterator operation on the
ServiceGroup (NB: such an iterator has yet to be proposed for
ServiceGroup).

Answer 3: Allow multiple Disambiguators in a single message. To use
embodiment 1, create an EPR for the collection that looked like this:

<wsa:EndpointReference>

<wsa:Address>http://localhost:8080/axis/services/UnicorePort</wsa:
Address>
    <wsa:ReferenceProperties>
       <ns1:ResourceDisambiguator xmlns:ns1="http://arcon.fujtsu.com/";>
	    UnicorePort:E5623340-16DA-11D9-9A2A-C83D27C15A63
       </ns1:ResourceDisambiguator>
       <ns1:ResourceDisambiguator xmlns:ns1="http://arcon.fujtsu.com/";>
	    UnicorePort:0035B930-16DB-11D9-9A2A-9A608286117E
       </ns1:ResourceDisambiguator>
    </wsa:ReferenceProperties>
</wsa:EndpointReference>

The semantics would require that the client copy both Disambiguators
into the message and the service could interpret this as "Drive the
same operation on all the WS-Resources referenced by the Disambiguators
in the message."

I kind of like this, but I have never been convinced by WSRF critic's
use cases. Possibly the WSRP use case is a strong enough one.

Note: I don't believe this approach is as straight forward for the
other embodiments as the above.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE