Subject: Re: [wsrf] WS-RAP; section 2.3 - WS-Resource definition

It sounds like there are a bunch of closely related questions here. The one I hear David raising is of the general flavor of an inexpensive ServiceGroup where the semantics of the WS-Resource is to apply any operation to all of its resources. This is a specialization of the question I am raising and I would suggest we consider the more general case first.

Consider the scenario where an existing system has separate resources with distinct interfaces for a power supply, a CPU, a memory subsystem and an IO subsystem. An architect is tasked with adding WSRF componentry to enable remote access to and management of these resources. While it might be advisable for that architect to define separate WS-Resources for each of the existing resources, is it required or is the architect free to define a "BaseSystem" WS-Resources that encapsulates all four of those resources and provides the appropriate routing of any particular operation to the appropriate resource. While it is not likely for this scenario, one reason an architect might want to provide such encapsulation is when some operations will require access to (or impact) more than one of the encapsulated resources. I do not see any reason for WSRF to eliminate the architect having this choice available by requiring that there be a one-to-one correspondence between resources and WS-Resources, though I do expect that correspondence to be the most common case.

Assuming we define a WS-Resource to be a web service interface to a set of one or more resources, consider the endpoint reference David provided below. When the client receives this, it can not tell if this WS-Resource is encapsulating two resources or simply using a multi-key lookup of a single resource. Conversely, if the endpoint only specified a single ReferenceProperty, the client is unable to tell if there is a single underlying resource or if multiple resources will be found using that single key. All the client knows is that in order to properly interact with the WS-Resource, it must follow the binding rules for the type of WS-RAP embodiment that it has been given. I think this gives the designer of the WS-Resource appropriate flexibility without exposing any additional complexity to clients.

The other impact this would have would be in the construction of the properties document. I do not think that the client should be exposed to any additional complexity should a WS-Resource make the choice to encapsulate multiple resources, but rather that the WS-Resource is responsible for merging the properties of the underlying resources into a single property document.

Rich

David Snelling <David.Snelling@uk.fujitsu.com>

10/06/2004 04:03 AM

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsrf] WS-RAP; section 2.3 - WS-Resource definition

Folks,

This issue has come up in other discussions I have had, particularly
with folks less enthusiastic about WSRF. Put generally ...

If I have a WS and a bunch of resources, I have a set of WS-Resources
with a one-to-one correspondence to the resources. Because all the
WS-Resources share the same WS they can respond to the operations.
Rich's question (and that of others) is, can I drive the same operation
on all WS-Resources at once?

Answer 1: Yes, create a new Disambiguator that refers to the whole
collection. Steve pointed to this option.

Answer 2: Wrap the set of WS-Resources in a ServiceGroup and drive the
operation on all WS-Resources through an iterator operation on the
ServiceGroup (NB: such an iterator has yet to be proposed for
ServiceGroup).

Answer 3: Allow multiple Disambiguators in a single message. To use
embodiment 1, create an EPR for the collection that looked like this:

<wsa:EndpointReference>

<wsa:Address>http://localhost:8080/axis/services/UnicorePort</wsa:
Address>
   <wsa:ReferenceProperties>
      <ns1:ResourceDisambiguator xmlns:ns1="http://arcon.fujtsu.com/">
                    UnicorePort:E5623340-16DA-11D9-9A2A-C83D27C15A63
      </ns1:ResourceDisambiguator>
      <ns1:ResourceDisambiguator xmlns:ns1="http://arcon.fujtsu.com/">
                    UnicorePort:0035B930-16DB-11D9-9A2A-9A608286117E
      </ns1:ResourceDisambiguator>
   </wsa:ReferenceProperties>
</wsa:EndpointReference>

The semantics would require that the client copy both Disambiguators
into the message and the service could interpret this as "Drive the
same operation on all the WS-Resources referenced by the Disambiguators
in the message."

I kind of like this, but I have never been convinced by WSRF critic's
use cases. Possibly the WSRP use case is a strong enough one.

Note: I don't believe this approach is as straight forward for the
other embodiments as the above.

--

Take care:

    Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
    Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
    Hayes Park Central
    Hayes End Road
    Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE