Subject: Ballot on removing WS-RenewableReferences from the TC charter

At the F2F 2 weeks ago, we discussed whether it was still appropriate for
the WS-RF TC to persue the work on reference renewal. We heard how the
requirement for a WS-RenewableReferences specification came originally from
the OGSA community and that that community has recently developed an OGSA
profile that satisfies the requirement within OGSA.
As a consequence, a motion was made to de-scope the TC charter to remove
WS-RenewableReferences as a TC deliverable.

Charter clarification is part of the defined TC process:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#charter

While there was no opposition to the motion at the F2F, it requires a 2/3
super-majority of the voting members to approve a change to the charter. As
a consequence, I have posted a ballot that proposes, per the motion, that
the TC narrows its scope to exclude consideration of renewable references.
The ballot text describes precisely what changes to the charter text are
being proposed. If 2/3 of the TC vote "Yes" then the clarification will be
passed to the OASIS TC Administrator to confirm that it is within TC
process guidelines and then to apply it.

In order to best ensure we give all members an opportunity to vote, the
ballot will remain open until March 9. Please vote while this is on your
mind; the ballot is at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrf/ballot.php?id=695&;

If less than 2/3 of the TC vote "Yes", then we will remain chartered to
deliver a WS-RenewableReferences specification.

Regards,
Ian Robinson