wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] XrML virtual interop completed

Jamie,

Let me respond to each of your three topics:

1. After discussion with the chairs and other editors, I have uploaded
revision 7 of the XrML Token Profile that is now renamed as the Rights
Expression Language (REL) Token Profile.  Can you please confirm that
this complies with the section of OASIS TC Policy that you cited?

2. As you point out, a number of companies have submitted statements
available at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wss/ipr.php.  Like
you, I also am assuming that all members have addressed the OASIS IPR
Policy.  If you have reason to believe that this is not the case (i.e.
you know of someone who hasn't), perhaps you can contact them
specifically to remind them?

3. I'm not sure I understand why the XrML Token Profile was singled out
as the target of your last comment about proprietary specifications,
given that you say this is common practice.  I also disagree that the
XrML Token Profile was written in such a way as to be misunderstood in
terms of what is being standardized.  Standards bodies have been
successfully issuing standards for years that utilize -- but do not
sanction -- proprietary specifications.  Nevertheless, in light of the
name change discussed above in bullet 1, we figured it most agreeable to
drop the references to XrML, leaving only the reference to the
International Standard Rights Expression Language, ISO/IEC 21000-5.
This way, the WSS REL Token Profile normatively creates a profile for
ISO/IEC 21000-5 as it always did.  It is this language that was used in
the most recent interop and was the recommended language in revision 6
of the REL Token Profile.  It is now the sole language in revision 7 of
the REL Token Profile (the references to the two proprietary XrML
specifications were removed).

&Thomas.