wss message

Subject: More SwA Comments

All,

1. The SwA profile specifically targets "W3C Note, "SOAP with Attachments",
11 December 2000", yet there is also the SOAP Attachment Feature
(http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-af/) for SOAP v1.2. Does the profile intend to
support this as well since we make the claim of SOAP version independence on
line 95? If we don't intend to support the SOAP Attachment Feature with this
SwA profile, should we remove the version independence statement?

2. While we mostly think of attachments as opaque binary blobs, I have seen
several cases where the attachments are XML. Should we make the statement
that this SwA profile views any XML attachments as opaque? This would limit
the applicability of the profile in cases where we are targeting an XML
sub-document within an attachment. That is, signing some child element
buried in some XML that happens to be an attachment.

I believe that for the sake of clarity we should make statement about this
use-case. If we want to allow visibility into XML documents that happen to
be attachments (by visibility, I mean signing), we should add a clarifying
remark about how to go about this somewhere around line 203. E.G. Use XML
Signature transforms/filters to select the element(s) to sign.

3. Line 108, we should define MTOM.

4. Line 133 still refers to Content-Location

5. Line 160 we should make a clarification regarding "canonicalization" so
readers don't' confuse this with Canonical XML. We should make a statement
about how an attachment is to be canonicalized when it is XML (if it is
opaque, we don't want implementers running it through C14N mistakenly).

Regards,

Blake Dournaee
Senior Security Architect
Sarvega, Inc.