wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] [draft] OASIS WSS TC Minutes 2005-09-20 for comment and correction

Clarification for minutes, item #4 issue 334:

Motion that was accepted was to adopt Frederick's email proposal [1]
with the first item #4 in that proposal changed to the following text:

"Tokens and elements that are defined in this specification and
related profiles to use wsu:Id attributes SHOULD use wsu:Id. Elements
to be signed MAY use xml:id or wsu:Id, and use of xml:id MAY be
specified in profiles. All receivers MUST be able to identify XML
elements carrying a wsu:Id attribute as representing an attribute of
schema type ID and process it accordingly.

All receivers MAY be able to identify XML elements with a xml:id
attribute as
representing an id attribute and process it accordingly. Senders
SHOULD use
wsu:Id and MAY use xml:id. Note that use of xml:id in conjunction with
inclusive canonicalization may be inappropriate, as noted in [XMLID]
and thus this combination
SHOULD be avoided."

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wss/email/archives/
200509/msg00069.html

This reflects adoption of [1] with Tony's suggested change [2]
modified to add "this combination" to the last sentence, and to
remove "optionally" after the MAY in that proposal.

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wss/email/archives/
200509/msg00077.html

-----
Note that on the call it was suggested that
"Alternatively, the xml:id attribute may be used." be changed to
upper case MAY as
"Alternatively, the xml:id attribute MAY be used."

I suggest we adopt this (editorial) change as well.

----- end minutes update -----

These changes would result in the following updated set of changes:

Line numbers below refer to latest draft which is public review with
subsequent committee changes [3]

Add to section 4, ID References,

(1) Replace "attribute" at line 494 with

"attribute and the xml:id attribute [XMLID]."

XMLID is a reference to the W3C XML ID Recommendation, to be added to
the references section of the document.

(2) Replace "are considered" with "are considered (in no particular
order):" at line 495

(3) Add additional bullet after line 500:
* Global xml:id attributes on elements

(4) Add following paragraph right before 4.1, after line 504

Tokens and elements that are defined in this specification and
related profiles to use wsu:Id attributes SHOULD use wsu:Id. Elements
to be signed MAY use xml:id or wsu:Id, and use of xml:id MAY be
specified in profiles. All receivers MUST be able to identify XML
elements carrying a wsu:Id attribute as representing an attribute of
schema type ID and process it accordingly.

All receivers MAY be able to identify XML elements with a xml:id
attribute as
representing an id attribute and process it accordingly. Senders
SHOULD use
wsu:Id and MAY use xml:id. Note that use of xml:id in conjunction with
inclusive canonicalization may be inappropriate, as noted in [XMLID]
and thus this combination
SHOULD be avoided.

(5) Add following to end of last paragraph in 4.1, at line 521

Alternatively, the xml:id attribute MAY be used. Applications MUST
NOT specify both a wsu:ID and xml:id attribute on a single element.
It is an XML requirement that only one id attribute be specified on a
single element.

(6) Add reference to xml:id recommendation, section 16,  after XMLENC

[XMLID]             W3C Recommmendation, “xml:id Version 1.0”, 9
September 2005.

[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wss/download.php/
13961/wss-v1.1-spec-draft-SOAPMessageSecurity-01.pdf

Thanks.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia