Subject: RE: [Use Case:] PFC

Title: RE: [Use Case:] PFC

Maybe we need to take an evite poll of the group to see what formats are acceptable? Simon B, can you send out one? Maybe everyone has an editor that works with the latest word files and this isn't even an issue. I'd hate to overengineer a doc standard that wasn't necessary. Regarding saving to old versions, one thing I know from using Powerpoint is that I had a Powerpoint 2000 presentation that was 250K and when I tried to backsave it in Powerpoint 97 format for a conference I was speaking at, it blew up to 10MB! That's hopefully not the case with word.

Ken Yagen
Director, Software Development
CrossLogix, Inc
www.crosslogix.com

-----Original Message-----
From: bill parducci [mailto:bill@parducci.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 8:30 AM
To: Hal Lockhart; xacml list

> [I am probably going to regret saying this and I certainly have no desire to
> be a Microsoft apologist, but it seems to me that in practice there's not
> much to choose. There are free readers available for both Word and PDF.
> Creating either requires the purchase of an expensive tool from essentially
> one vendor. True the PDF format is published, but this makes little
> practical difference to most folks. ]

traitor! :o)

actually in lieu of text, the best solution may be to use the 'word95'
format. i have found that .doc formats that are more than a year old
tend to be better supported by non-ms readers. this can easily be
read/edited by more modern versions of word and as long as we refrain
from trying to make the docs look like a newsletter (goofy fonts,
multiple columns, text boxes, etc.) we should be able to reach a
workable solution.

then again, there is always raw eps... :o)