Subject: RE: Policies with No Subject

Title: RE: Policies with No Subject
I am working on a paper that will describe my ideas more fully, but briefly here is the argument.

Policy evaluation has two phases. 1. identifying the policies that apply to particular request 2. execute the policy evaluation algorithm

There is a somewhat arbitrary choice of which inputs to apply to each phase. However, since resources are distributed and control is federated it makes sense to organize them by the resources they apply to, so that they can be located physically close to the resources and their administrators. This suggests that resource and closely related items such as action must always be specified, so it is possible to determine which policies apply.

Privilege is something I consider to be completely synthetic and may not necessarily even be present in a policy model at all. For example, the AssureAccess policy model does not currently contain the notion. We map to resources and actions. Privilege, as it is typically used, is actually a target aggregator, in the same way group is a subject aggregator. A priviledge is a shorthand name for some collection of resources and methods that are considered to be similar from an access control perspective.

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Yagen [mailto:kyagen@crosslogix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 7:54 PM
To: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

I was not at the F2F and did not hear the discussion, but I wouldn't think it to be too unreasonable to consider subject differently than location, time, and other policy variables. Along the same lines you could frame arguments that privilege and resource are not necessary. You can have a user or role that have access to all resources or can perform any kind of transaction with a particular resource. I think it is pretty well accepted that there are a lot (but not all) policies that refer to a subject and that makes it important enough to be considered as a required part of the policy language.

Ken Yagen
Director, Software Development
CrossLogix, Inc
www.crosslogix.com