Subject: Re: [xacml] xacml, policy, issuer, combinator parameters...

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Frank Siebenlist wrote:

> I simply don't understand why you even want to have a discussion of how
> a policy "written" by polar becomes "mine".

because it happens all the time.

And given the element, it just makes that sort of thing possible, possibly
leading to ambigous behavior.

> The reduction: polar *says*
> A & frank *believes* polar => frank *says* A...  is at the heart of the
> proposed scheme....

True, the logic of Abadi, Burrows, Lampson, and Wobber, the following is
valid in all applicable models:

Polar says A
Frank believes (speaks for) Polar

then

Frank says A

However, we must be really careful about this.

First and foremost, if you have a policy that states "Polar says A", then
who said that statement? This policy may be a lie. Furthermore, you may
not even know who Polar is.

So, the fact that Frank *believes* Polar

has no real effect if indeed, Carol says (Polar says A).

So, the question is not that Frank *believes* Polar. It may be one of,
does Frank *believe* that somebody else says Polar says A.

it gets complicated, but we can work through it.

My point, is that if you put that <Issuer> in the policy, the policy no
longer just states who has access, but now states somebody else says who
has access, and there is a complicated question if that should be
believed, and where it should be believed.

Putting the "issuer" as a combining parameter associated with a
particular policy states to the combingin algorithm that "this issuer"
states that "this policy" says who has access. and in the context of "this
combining algorithm" we have a mechanism for discovering and validating
the authority chain.

If <Issuer> is to exist within a policy, what does it mean?
What does it mean in the context of a combining algorithm
Furthermore, the real question that must be answered, must be
What does an <Issuer> element mean for *all* combining algorithms?

Cheers,
-Polar