Subject: Re: [xacml] xacml, policy, issuer, combinator parameters...

If you have an edge server that does the authentication and an
application server behind it where access control decisions are made,
then the app server *says* (ssl-session key *says* (edge-server key
*says* (edge-server-DN *says* access-subject is polar))). In other
words, we have learned to deal with all these different entities in the
validation trust chain such that we can insert "polar" as the
access-subject in the request context.

If we use an external attribute validation service, which we send all
the saml assertion that will get validated on their signatures and such,
and which will give back a simple statement that "polar stated that
frank is part of the friends group": validation svc *says* (polar *says*
frank is friend).

If we validate an x509 certificate with a subject name polar, then we
may have to jump through hoops, cross certification, processing
incomprehensible extensions, and end up with the app service x509
validation code *says* (x509 church/religion *says* access-subject name
is polar).

In other words, we deal with these construct all the time right now,
without having to consider any policy issuers. In the end, however, we
manage to process and validate the different assertions such that we can
"simply" add them in the end as binding that were issued by "some"
entity. Along the way we have to make authorization decisions about the
made statements, and one could even argue that for some one could use
xacml/pdp again... but that is all with the purpose of filling in the
request context for the original question whether an access subject can
invoke an action on a resource.

Again, I do not see why this is any different with policy assertions,
and why this has anything to do with the question where we keep the
issuer-policy association.

This was really my last email about this ;-)

-Frank.

--
Frank Siebenlist               franks@mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory