Subject: RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype

Seth - One slight problem this raises is that one of the examples uses this
data-type.  Perhaps we can fix this with a note to the effect that this type
is defined in a profile.  All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth.Proctor@Sun.COM [mailto:Seth.Proctor@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 10:37 PM
To: XACML
Subject: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype

After noodling on this one for a while, and talking with Anne, I'd like
to propose that we remove this datatype from the core spec and define
it instead in the profile where it's used. Why? Because it doesn't get
used anywhere in the core specification. I think it will cause a great
deal of confusion to have a datatype that goes unused. In fact, we have
three functions that use XPath expressions, but they define their
parameters in terms of strings, which I think will further confuse
people.

Should we change the parameters to these functions? I don't think so.
People are already using them, and I don't see any value in changing
their parameter types and thereby breaking compatability from 1.x to
2.0. As always, I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, but it seems like
an arbitrary change that wouldn't provide much value. Since we're not
making that change, I don't think we should include the new datatype in
the core specification. Basically, I don't think we should define
anything in the core that we don't use or at justify somewhere.

Thoughts? Might this be a topic for discussion at tomorrow's focus
group meeting? I don't want to slow down our schedule, but I do want to
make sure we dot all our t's (heh) which is why I'm currently doing a
complete review of 2.0.

Thanks!

seth

OASIS TC), go to