Subject: Re: [xacml] A problem with the Target

It's actually AND(OR(AND(MATCH(X))))

It used to be like this in 2.0:

<Target>
  <Subjects>
    <Subject>
      <SubjectMatch ...>
  <Resources>
</Target

There is an AND at the target level: both the subjects and resources
must match.

There is an OR at the <Subjects> level: at least one of the subjects has
to match.

There is an AND at the <Subject> level: all matches on the subject has
to match

The 3.0 is made to be analogous so we can transform 2.0 policies into
equivalent 3.0 policies:

<Target>
  <DisjunctiveMatch>
    <ConjunctiveMatch
      <Match ...>

Maybe it would be better to rename the elements. Conjunction/disjunction
is a bit scientific which might scare off people, or? :-)

I don't think the alternative you propose is sufficient to cover 2.0.
For instance:

<Target>
  <Subjects>
    <Subject >
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="access-subject">group=="engineer"</>
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="access-subject">clearance=="A"</>
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="intermediate-subject">firewall_type=="X"</>
    <Subject >
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="access-subject">group=="payroll"</>
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="access-subject">clearance=="A"</>
      <SubjectMatch subj-cat=="intermediate-subject">firewall_type=="X"</>
  <Resources>
    <Resource>
      <ResourceMatch>resource-id=="server_23"</>
</Target

(The subject-category really goes in the SubjectAttributeDesignator, but
I simplified to make it less verbose.)