Subject: Re: [xacml] New XACML profile - ALFA

Dear all, Ray, Robin, Hal,

Please find answers inline - including answers to Robin's email.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Sinnema, Remon <remon.sinnema@emc.com> wrote:

Hi David,

Excellent idea!

I have some questions for you:

·         Would you mind sending out a link to more details about ALFA?

You can read more information here:

·         Do you plan to keep the name or should we change it, since it contains the name of a company?

We haven't discussed this fully internally yet. As Hal points out correctly, we cannot use the name "Axiomatics" in the profile's title. Finding an alternative to the first A in ALFA could be a way forward. I personally liked the use of "abbreviated". Abridged is another. If only "Anhanced" were spelled with an A :-)

Axiomatics does not hold a trademark on the ALFA word.

·         Do you see this as a media type for XACML or something more?

It's a new grammar to authorize XACML policies. It's aimed at developers and uses a syntax akin to C# / Java. It provides a simpler, denser syntax than XML does. XML is hard to read, ALFA isn't. Also it provides a few enhancements such as the ability to define rules independently and then reference them.

Eventually ALFA policies are translated into XACML 3.0

Can you supply a URI reference for the specification, if it's in public space?
The spec is not in the public space yet. It's the goal of writing the profile to make it in the public space with Axiomatics providing the first version based on the existing grammar.

Cheers,
David.

Thanks,

Ray