Subject: [xcbf] My Baltimore homework

I have identified a simple and useful document at the following URL:

http://www.incits.org/tc_home/m1htm/docs/m1020196.pdf

>    After review, we should suggest places in the XCBF document
>    where it would be beneficial to refer to these M1 definitions.
>
>    NOTE: All of the yellow highlighted terms in the current
>    document indicate that I can find no location in the text
>    where they are referenced. So these are all candidates for
>    deletion. The question marks in the terms indicate that
>    this definition is merely included because it is a term
>    used only by one of the yellow terms. These will be deleted
>    if the parent term is removed.
>
> 3. Search for use of "template" and see if we can better qualify
>    our usage with "reference" or "sample", etc.
>
>    NOTE: There were three uses of template outside of the
>    definitions and terms. I inserted the word "reference"
>    at all three locations to qualify.
>
> 4. Need to define cryptographic and security terms. Need to try to
>    show where term definition comes from by using a reference in the
>    definition of the term. We should use the most appropriate
>    terminology (M1 for biometrics, X9/RFCs for security) for each
>    of our terms.
>
> 5. Add hypertext links from usage of ASN.1 type names to the text
>    area where they are first defined.
>
>    NOTE: The editor attempted this and decided that he does not
>    have sufficient bandwidth to accomplish this task.
>
> 6. For SignedData certs and crls, we need ECN to allow these
>    components to be base64 encoded. Paul Thorpe will provide the
>    XML EI.
>
> 7. Alessandro will submit for review and discussion a new first
>    sentence to the document at lines 22-23 and 65-66 to the list.
>
>    NOTE: Alessandro, please send this to the list.

Here are some samples.

0) The text currently reads:

-------------
Biometrics are measurable physical characteristics or personal
behavioral traits that can be used to recognize the identity of an
individual, or to verify a claimed identity.
-------------

1) First proposal (from the Biometric Consortium website,
http://www.biometrics.org/html/introduction.html):

-------------
Biometrics are automated methods of recognizing a person based on a
physiological
or behavioral characteristic.
-------------

2) Second proposal (an older definition from the Biometric Consortium
website, still preferred by somebody):

-------------
Biometrics is a means of automatically recognizing a person using
distinguishing traits.
-------------

3) Third proposal (from OSS Nokalva's BioFoundry web pages,
http://www.oss.com/products/biometrics.html):

Biometrics is an open-ended set of technologies based on the measurement

of some physical characteristics of human beings for the purpose of
identifying
an individual or verifying identity.

Please choice one.

Alessandro