Subject: Re: Fw: [xcbf] XCBF CS Ballot

Whatever Ed replies to the e-mail below from Phil, I think we have a
difficult situation that I would very much like to have resolved.  The
following comments may or may not be helpful in this regard.

The use of BASE64 is indeed part of Amendment 1 to X.693, not of X.693
itself.

That amendement (on currrent timescales - which I think *will* be met)
will become publicly available shortly after the next SG17 Geneva
meeting in early September.

With the best will in the world, there is nothing I can do (I think) to
change that formal position re ISO/ITU-T and the general outside world.
  But OASIS is different - which may or may not help Ed and the
resolution of his comment.

OASIS has been long-established as a category A liaison to both ITU-T
SG17 and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 (the two bodies concerned with ASN.1 work),
and so has access to the working documents for this amendment, which are
becoming increasingly mature.

These documents are available to all members of OASIS.

I agree that this is not quite the same as "public availability", and I
also accept that the documents are subject to change due to ballot
comments (and so will not be totally stable until Approval by ITU-T in
September).  This is something that cannot be changed:  until due
balloting processes are completed, nothing is fixed.

But I hope that these remarks may help in the resolution of Ed's comments.

I would add that it is normal in ISO to allow a document to proced to IS
when things it references are one step behind (still at DIS level).  It
would not seem unreasonable for OASIS to adopt a similar approach when
referencing ISO and ITU-T documents.

John L