Subject: RE: [xliff-inline] Requirements - #9

Hi all,

Should "codes" be "tags" instead? I agree with what Arle said, but in bold you do not normally put long segments, but a word or two which not so often have a multiword translation equivalent. I have some examples of one word-> multiword expression (MWE), but I don't think that idioms (category of MWEs) is something you localise very often, but is certainly a good example. I will look at my examples and send them to you.

Dimitra

-----Original Message-----
From: Yves Savourel [mailto:ysavourel@translate.com]
Sent: 05 August 2010 12:23
To: xliff-inline@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Arle,

> English: This is some <b>bold text</b>
> Japanese: これは、いくつかの<dotAccent>太字のテキスト</dotaccent>です

The Japanese example, I think, falls into this requirement #9: It changes the type of code, but we still need to make the correspondence between the source and the target.

> Also, how would we handle a case where one set of tags
> in one language could correspond to two (or more) in
> another? (For example, a syntactic unit is bolded in English,
> but it corresponds to two syntactic units that are
> separated in a target language and that both should
> appear as bold with Roman text between them?

That case of split translation with extra codes points to the use case of adding inline codes, for which I don't think we have a requirement yet.

So I would propose a new #10 with something like:

[
Must be able to represent inline codes added to the segment

Sometimes the translation of a formatted text requires the translation to split the source into several parts in different places in the segments and the original codes need to be replicated.

<And find a good real example: anyone has one?>
]

I think it also points to another missing requirement: the need to be able to indicate if a code can be cloned, deleted, or moved.

-ys