xliff-omos message

Subject: Re: [xliff-omos] Source and Target Language properties for Fragment

Phil, I don't want to go into the philosophical debate if inheritance is XML specific (I guess not, you can do it fairly easily on any tree graphs).. Suffice it to say that JSON is not well suited for inheritance and hence I would suggest to have the (one) language property at the source and target level (which will automatically differentiate them as source and target languages).
Maybe the repetition level will be theoretically higher, but in many cases you will be exchanging fragments with just one source and target. And -more importantly- you won't need to go into the extra trouble of defining source and target language (two different) properties at the unit level and make them inherit to source and target conditionally.. I guess should be also simpler for implementers/ serializers/ deserializers

Cheers
dF

Dr. David Filip
OASIS XLIFF OMOS TC Chair
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, Liaison Officer
Spokes Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre
KDEG, Trinity College Dublin
Mobile: +420-777-218-122