Subject: Philosophical Goal for XLIFF: design for the "lowest commondenominator"

Hello,

I have what might turn out to be a controversial idea. In our efforts to improve XLIFF I think we should consider XML processing to be the "lowest common denominator" when establishing requirements. And I think this should be explicitly stated as a design goal (perhaps in the charter?). Of course many XLIFF implementations use many different models of processing, but if we keep XML processing in mind when we design different aspects of XLIFF, we will probably ensure that we are not designing anything that could be implementable by some methods, but not others.

I am not trying to make a case that XLIFF implementers should use XML processing. I am just saying that if we use XML processing as our "lowest common denominator," we will ensure XLIFF's maximum robustness.

(forgive me for the colloquial use of the phrase *lowest common denominator* - it is a misuse of the term, but I hope a common enough misuse that expresses my meaning)