Subject: RE: [xliff] XLIFF 2.0 Core

FYI: Last week I started to work on a writer and a reader implementation for XLIFF 2.0 to help us in working out the various inline codes issues. Since it seems we are making some progress with the core as well now, I thought it could be helpful to extend that and make it available.

So, the latest snapshot of Rainbow can now generate experimental XLIFF 2.0 files.
No merging back for now (I'll wait to have a more stable schema).

But if you want to generate extracted documents that try to follow the schemas Rodolfo is creating:

1. Download the snapshot distribution for your platform here:
http://okapi.opentag.com/snapshots

2. Install it (just unzip the file).

3. Start Rainbow

4. Drop the files you want to extract in the "Input File 1" tab. Many formats (HTML, PO, Properties, etc.) should be supported by default. A few others may require to select a pre-define configuration ("Input" > "Edit Input Document Properties") or even a custom configuration (like XML files).

5. Once you have the proper filter configuration assigned to the input file, to create XLIFF 2.0 files: go to "Utilities" > "Translation Kit Creation".

6. Select "Rainbow Translation Kit Creation", the last step of that pipeline.

7. In "Type of package to create" select "XLIFF 2.0".

8. In the tab "Output Options", enter the directory where you want the package to be created (the default is ${rootDir} which is your home directory if you have not created a rainbow project, or the same directory as the project if you have a Rainbow project).

9. Click Execute.

10. The output file(s) should be at whatever location you picked, in a sub-directory called "work".

Depending on how fast I can keep up with our discussions the output may or may not reflect the latest consensus we have. We may also at some point have options to pick different choices.

For creating those files Rainbow uses a Java library for XLIFF 2.0. It's part of the okapi libraries but does not depend on any packages other than the default Java ones.

The classes and API is still very unstable obviously, but at some point if you want to use it you can get the latest JAR from the Maven repository Asgeir is maintaining here: http://openl10n.net/maven2/snapshots/net/sf/okapi/lib/okapi-lib-xliff/ That is getting updated every time someone commits changes. The Rainbow snapshots are getting updated a little less often. All that is open-source (LGPL).

I don't think it is very useful yet, except maybe to discover possible implementation challenges, but in the long term it should help us produce example files useful for testing XLIFF consumer tools.

I've attached the HTML of the 1.2 specification extracted in our "current" 2.0 format for example.

If you have problem related to using Rainbow or the library, let me know or query the Okapi Users group (no need to clutter the XLIFF list for that). Otherwise, all XLIFF related discussions should keep going on here obviously.

xliff-spec.zip