Subject: RE: [xliff] Add optional format attribute for quick at-a-glance review

Hi Yves,

Replies below
From: Yves Savourel [ysavourel@enlaso.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 4:33 AM
To: Schnabel, Bryan S; xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Bryan,

> What if we put an optional attribute on XLIFF elements
> that match HTML elements? It would enable a quick
> "at-a-glance" HTML page to be created for review cycle.

a) Could/should this be related to the ‘disp’ attribute we currently have in inline markup?
- could be. But I see my proposal as being purposefully narrow in scope, just for just-in-time review

- Assuming <ec> is properly terminated, no need for the fs attribute. If escaped HTML markup existed, no need for fs attribute. Otherwise, yes (<sc id='1' fs='b'/>)

d) This feature looks somewhat similar to the dx:equiv-markup-open and dx:equiv-markup-close defined in XLIFF:doc[1]. In your example the value of fs is only an HTML element name. Would there be any reason to use full HTML markup instead? (so you could possibly specify class names, etc.).
- don't think so. The class attribute seems like overkill.  I see my proposal as being purposefully narrow in scope, just for just-in-time review. Might think about linking attributes and even img/src, but with care to be narrow and focused on just-in-time review

cheers,
-yves

[1] http://interoperability-now.googlecode.com/files/XLIFFdoc%20Representation%20Guide.pdf