Subject: RE: [xliff] SC feedback: Validation

Hi Rodolfo,

of course the TC cannot tell anyone if they can or cannot write a validation tool. My point is that we need to specify how an application can validate an XLIFF 2.0 document. The means to do so should be as simple and un-ambiguous as possible. It should also be possible on any reasonable platform supporting XML.

Writing in the standard that you should look at the source of this or that program and implement its algorithms for your self is not something I would support. Saying that the proper way is to use a specific tool not supported or un-suitable for some platforms is also not acceptable to me.

Any re-implementation is likely to introduce bugs or interpret things differently and that is precisely what you want to avoid with validation.

I strongly believe that XML standards should be platform independent and that includes how to validate incoming or outgoing documents.

As I wrote in my initial mail, a tool to test the conformance of an application does not need to meet these requirements. There it is enough if it is supported on at least one commonly available platform. It is of course nice if it works on more than one platform but not a requirement. Here a tool like XLIFFChecker makes a lot of sense.

Regards,
Fredrik Estreen

-----Original Message-----
From: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:xliff@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Rodolfo M. Raya
Sent: den 22 december 2011 14:01
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Fredrik,

XLIFFChecker code is open source and anyone in need of a validating tool can use it as a starting point. It can be ported to other languages by those that want to use it in an unsupported platform. The code is published under EPL and there are no restrictions for using it.

Anyone can write another tool or library for validating XLIFF files. The XLIFF TC can't forbid doing so. Having more options for validating XLIFF files could be nice.

Rodolfo M. Raya       rmraya@maxprograms.com
Maxprograms       http://www.maxprograms.com