xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] [Fwd: Re: Clarifying what a URL identifies (Four Uses of aURL)]

Hello folks

Let me jump into the debate from the topic maps - published subjects
viewpoint.

First remind that the notion of subject is the most generic in topic
maps. It's "whatever anyone cares to speak about", be it abstract,
concrete, generic or individual, real or imaginary, network-retrievable
or not...

The topic maps standard clearly provides distinct ways to deal with
"addressable" subjects (network-retrievable resources) and
"non-addressable" subjects (abstract entities or physical individuals).

Both can be identified by URIs. Let's see how it works using the example
of David at
http://www.w3.org/2002/11/dbooth-names/dbooth-names_clean.htm

The URL "http://x.org/love"; can be used in topic maps land to identify
two subjects among the four that David quotes: subject 2. and subject 3.

Subject 2. is not addressable. It is a certain "concept of love", that
is supposed to be expressed, defined or at least "indicated" to human
users when they de-reference the URL.

Subject 3. is exactly "whatever the hell you get when you de-reference
the URL". Of course the actual content of that can evolve with time,
because the conception of love expressed by the editor of that resource
can evolve when (s)he advances in age :)) So it's not a document, and
the issue how to identify Subject 4 (the document which is actually
there when I get to the address) is not really addressed in that scheme.

Think about an exemple like http://meteo.org/myplace/today
I guess the document is changing, unless I live on the Moon, but the
subject indicated is well identified: "today's weather in my place".

How do you express that in topic maps land?

Let's start by subject 3. You define a topic to represent this subject.
This is basic in topic maps. When you want to speak about a subject, you
represent it by a topic. Cool :)

How do you express that my subject *is* a resource?
In XTM syntax, I will write the following:

<topicMap>
  <topic id="subject3">
	<subjectIdentity>
		<resourceRef xlink:href="http://x.org/love"/>
	<subjectIdentity>
  </topic>
</topicMap>

Now for subject 2. I define a topic of which identity is "indicated" by
the same URI:

<topicMap>
  <topic id="subject2">
	<subjectIdentity>
		<subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="http://x.org/love"/>
	<subjectIdentity>
  </topic>
</topicMap>

In that case, TM terminology is that http://x.org/love is for subject 2
a "subject identifier", and the resource itself is a "subject
indicator".

If both URL and resource are stable, and declared by the publisher of
x.org to be here to stay and used for purpose of identification, they
can now be considered as respectively "published subject identifier" and
"published subject indicator" for subject 2.

So the same URL is used to identify two subjects, but with no ambiguity
in either case, due to the syntactic construct.

Bottom line: a URL, like any other kind of character string, does not
identify any subject "per se", but can be used as an identifier if you
provide a clear and unambiguous identification process. And since
process can be different, the same string can be used different ways to
identify different things. This is not specific to URLs, it is the same
with whatever naming or identification system. "2003-01-24" is only a
character string, and it does not "per se" identify the current day, out
of context.

As for subjects 1. and 4. in David's example, Subject 1 can be dealt
with a "reified name". The subject is the character string. Topic maps
do not provide explicit ways to deal with that - maybe Lars Marius has
more to say about it.

Subject 4 is more tricky, and I agree with David it is difficult to be
dealt with using URLs. You can't use the same string to identify several
subjects of the same type using the same identification process. That
would simply break the whole notion of identification.

Hope that helps

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Knowledge Engineering
Mondeca - www.mondeca.com
OASIS Published Subjects Technical Committee
www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj