Subject: Re: How do we collaborate on our documents?

Tony Graham wrote:

> At 8 Aug 2000 10:10 -0700, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>  > "G. Ken Holman" wrote:
>  > > At 00/08/07 15:14 -0400, David_Marston@lotus.com wrote:
>  > > >Unless I
>  > > >hear of a specific protocol, I'll just send my draft documents to the
>  > > >mailing list.
>  > >
>  > > I look forward to specific suggestions of what we can use.  I'm sure other
>  > > OASIS committees would be very interested to see how we solve this issue.
>  >
>  > I'm not sure how to write this without sounding like a party-pooper, but I
>  > believe that no solution would be acceptable that is not usable on a variety
>  > of platforms, such as Windows/NT, MacOS and Linux/Unix. Is there such a
>  > beast? I honestly don't know. But the alternative would be to engage in
>  > what in a social context would be lableled "discriminatory practices", which,
>  > by the very nature of the OASIS process and membership, we cannot.

My impression was that David did not have CVS in mind. Yes, CVS could
be a possibility (although one problem with it may be corporate firewalls - does
anybody have enough experience with it working through firewalls?)

Eduardo

> Many open source projects make use of CVS (Concurrent Version System,
> or similar), which is a revision control system that allows concurrent
> updates to a source code file (unlike, say, RCS or SCCS that lock all
> other users from modifying a file while one user is modifying it).
>
> A CVS server runs on a Unix box (and, I believe, a server running on
> Windows NT is being developed).  Users can access the repository over
> the network, and many CVS servers are set up so you can browse the
> repository using a web browser.
>
> CVS clients are available for Unix, Windows, and MacOS, plus there is
> a Java-based CVS client.
>
> In projects such as FOP and, I expect, the other Apache efforts,
> anyone can browse the code or download it onto their machine, but only
> certain people have the access rights to "commit" changes to the
> repository.  Anyone else who wants to make a change has to send their
> patch to the appropriate mailing list or to an authorised committer.
>
> Since source code is just text files and our work product is going to
> be mostly text files, using CVS could work for us.
>
> I don't know whether OASIS has considered running a CVS server, but if
> they did it for committees like ours, they could also make it
> available to those XML-Devers who think think that the XML-Dev mailing
> list should also be the umbrella organisation for open-source
> projects.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony Graham
> Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
> Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632
> Suite 207                                          Phone: 301/315-9631
> Rockville, MD  20850                                 Fax: 301/315-8285
>   Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML

Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498
Sun Microsystems Inc.          |         fax:    (650) 786-5727