Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Regex for Patterning

I wasn’t saying that you shouldn’t go with PCRE, I’m just saying that if you go with PCRE and people feel free to use the full spectrum you’ll almost certainly run into instances where tools using their native regex libraries won’t be compatible. Adding a non-normative note with a subset identified that’s supported across a variety of libraries will help minimize this.

From: Ivan Kirillov <ikirillov@mitre.org>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM
To: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>, "Wunder, John A." <jwunder@mitre.org>
Cc: John-Mark Gurney <jmg@newcontext.com>, "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

I believe it supports Unicode matching, at least via Unicode characters:

Character matching assumes a Unicode character set. Note that no syntax is supplied for specifying code points in hex; actual Unicode characters must be used instead.

So I suppose the question is if we want to support Unicode matching via code points; if so, then we should probably just go with PCRE.

Regards,

Ivan