Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] Regex for Patterning

Wunder, John A. wrote this message on Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 00:41 +0000:
> I wasn’t saying that you shouldn’t go with PCRE, I’m just saying that if you go with PCRE and people feel free to use the full spectrum you’ll almost certainly run into instances where tools using their native regex libraries won’t be compatible. Adding a non-normative note with a subset identified that’s supported across a variety of libraries will help minimize this.

I do plan on writing a guide on correct usage of PCRE, such as
options/flags, for matching...

I do realize this, but the issue is that anytime you do not fully
support a regex (and don't escape what you don't support), you'll get
false matches...  The same issue happens if we adopted a subset... If
people just simply use the full regex library of their language w/o
sanitizing the input (which is likely, and if we go this route, I WILL
write test cases that will fail if you don't sanitize the regex), then
you have the same issue in reverse...

It is either unpleasant for everyone, or unpleasant for a few...

--
John-Mark