Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Including external documents

Well, not quite what I had in mind.  There could be one appendix element
with title and mediaobject, and it has the role attribute to select the
custom page-master.

The custom page-master can define one layout for the first page and
different layouts for odd and even pages after the first.  The existing
simple-page-master with master-name="back-first" is the appendix first page
master, and that will have the headers and footers, and that will work for
your purposes.  You want to define two new simple-page-master elements with
names such as master-name="back-odd-body-only" and "back-even-body-only"
that remove the region-before and region-after elements and adjust the page
and body margins.

Then you add a page-sequence-master to assemble the existing and new
simple-page-masters into a new sequence:

    <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="back-body-only">
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="blank"
                                              blank-or-not-blank="blank"/>
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="back-first"
                                              page-position="first"/>
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
master-reference="back-odd-body-only"
                                              odd-or-even="odd"/>
        <fo:conditional-page-master-reference
                                              odd-or-even="even">
          <xsl:attribute name="master-reference">
            <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="$double.sided !=
0">back-even-body-only</xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>back-odd-body-only</xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
          </xsl:attribute>
        </fo:conditional-page-master-reference>
    </fo:page-sequence-master>

Then when the role is set, you select "back-body-only" for that
page-sequence and you get this sequence of pages. For the first page, it
will use the existing back-first simple-page-master that has headers and
footers.  The other pages will use your custom simple-page-masters.