dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping

[...]

> A time-marked signature is just a signature on some content
> with a signed
> attribute (created by the signer) containing the signing time.
>
> A time-stamped signature contains, as an unsigned attribute,
> a timestamp
> "token", which somehow binds the time and a hash of the time-stamped
> signature's signatureValue, and is created and signed by a
> 3rd party TSA
> (Time Stamp Authority).

My understanding of those two terms is the following:

* A signature is time-marked if the signer claims the signing
  time and signes this claim together with the actual data.

* A signature is time-stamped if the time is claimed by a
  trusted third party, and this claim is incorporated into
  the signature as time stamp token.

Am I right here? Other opinions?

/Gregor Karlinger

[...]