dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping

Gregor,

I realised that I over simplified the situation.  There are three
situations:

a] A time-mark is included within the signed data as an
indication/affirmation from the signatory of the signing time

b] A time-stamp is included within the signed data, applied against one or
all the signed objects, as an affirmation from an independent party of the
time at which the signed data existed, which is on or before the signing
time.

c] A time-stamp is applied over the signature as an affirmation from an
independent party that the signature was created on or after the signing
time.  If the signing time is also included in the signed data (as in [a])
this can be used to independently support this signing time and protects
against later repudiation of the signature.

I think that I have it now matching the options in XAdES.

Nick