Subject: Re: [ekmi] Minutes :: EKMI Monthly TC Meeting - August 18, 2009

Tomas - you grossly misconstrue my comments, which had nothing to do
with open-source (StrongKey is open source).

Mary can correct me if I'm wrong here, but my point was this: for KeyMG
to have a use statement that counts toward the number of use statements
need to move to the next phase of development, it would have to either
be an officially supported/sanctioned work of RedHat and/or PrimeKey
(your respective member orgs), OR it would have to be adopted by them
into a product (open source, closed source, whatever) and then they
would have to issue use statements on that respective product.

This point goes directly toward due process and protocol. It's not
adequate to just go create an open-source library conforming to the
draft standard - a member org has to issue a use statement indicating
use of the library.

-ben

Anil Saldhana wrote:
> It is only supportive for any standard to get as many statement of usage
> from individuals, organizations (non-profit
> & commercial) as possible. It shows that the particular standard in
> question is not something that has been carved
> out for fun.
>
> Given this, Oasis (and rightly so) tries to ensure that the particular
> effort becomes a public standard only after getting
> an endorsement from 3 entities (who are contributor level or higher in
> Oasis membership) claiming *usage* of the standard.
> This requirement not only dispels those standards that are created with
> a lot of vested interest but also brings credibility to
> the standards that become Oasis Public Standard.
>
> My opinion.
>
> Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
>> Great, that does not seem to make any difference between open or closed
>> source software.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tomas
>>

>> Mary McRae wrote:
>>
>>> Just to clarify, statements of use must be from OASIS Organizational
>>> Members, not 'commercial vendors'. Anyone who is an OASIS Organizational
>>> Member (meaning not an Individual or Associate Member) can issue a
>>> statement of use. They do not need to belong to the TC.
>>>
>>> A Statement of Use is defined in the TC Process as follows:
>>> "Statement of Use", with respect to a specification, is a written
>>> statement by an OASIS Organizational Member stating that it is
>>> successfully using or implementing that specification in accordance with
>>> the conformance clauses specified in Section 2.18
>>> <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#specQuality>, and
>>> stating whether its use included the interoperation of multiple
>>> independent implementations.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mary
>>>

>>> Mary P McRae
>>> Director, Standards Development
>>> Technical Committee Administrator
>>> OASIS: Advancing open standards for the information society
>>> email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org <mailto:mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
>>> web: www.oasis-open.org <http://www.oasis-open.org>
>>> twitter: fiberartisan  #oasisopen
>>> phone: 1.603.232.9090
>>>
>>> Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.

Benjamin Tomhave, MS, CISSP
falcon@secureconsulting.net
Blog: http://www.secureconsulting.net/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/falconsview
Photos: http://photos.secureconsulting.net/
Web: http://falcon.secureconsulting.net/
LI: http://www.linkedin.com/in/btomhave

[ Random Quote: ]
"The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible
man hardly anything."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe