Subject: Re: & kindaLike that too

On Monday, August 27, 2001, at 08:48  PM, Sean B. Palmer wrote:

> I'm not too keen on "kindaLike" because all it does is state
> that there is
> some level of equivalence between a subject and an object, but
> it doesn't
> state the level of that equivalence. That might be useful to a
> human (which
> is why I used it in the prose), but it's not going to be useful to a
> machine, which is what the goal of the Semantic Web is. To get
> machines to
> do all of the dirty work.

Actually that's not completely true. Montonic systems (or is it
non-monotonic... I can never remember) may use kindaLike to make
tentative inferences. It's rather useful for a large number of
applications.

"I see you're buying this book... these other books are kinda
like that one, and may also be interesting to you."

"I see you're searching for crocodiles in Florida. I've heard
that alligators are kinda like crocodiles. Would you like to see
alligators in Florida?"