Subject: Re: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

Hopefully it's becoming clear that I have about an hour early in the
morning and then however much is left of me at the end of the day,
usually not very much, except on Wednesday, which is my HumanML Day.

This post is, like Michael Lacy's yesterday, instructive. HumanML is
probably larger than any of us can easily wrap our heads around, and
while the tendency is to try to narrow the overall scope down to
manageable proportions, I would like to suggest that my own mind is
changing on that. While I haven't yet abandoned the "We're only here
to make a metalanguage" position, I am beginning to see that that may
be vainglorious position. In other words, I would rather not get run
over by a stampede that may just be inevitable.

We'll see.

1. As for the Passport/DigitalMe arena: HumanML will probably first
tackle the area of Human Identifiers, including physical
parameters--for personal medical information--and certification,
whether as a certifier itself, heaven forbid, or as the arbiter of
such through the auspices of the only totally non-profit,
non-proprietary, uncentralized, and also, non-governmental and
therefore unbiased, in legal terminology, repository of information
authorized by individuals themselves.

To understand that think of Profiling. Whether creating a profile for
a Human Object that is the representation of a software agent or an
actual person, HumanML will have a breadth and depth that allows for
more areas of information than other database-centric systems created
primarily for authentication of identity purposes such as Len
described yesterday. As such HumanML will likely play a role. What
that role will be is far from clear, but that is certainly an area
that will deserve some dedicated work.

2. I don't know how far Steven got in going through the new material,
new as far as the OASIS site is concerned, that Ranjeeth uploaded
Sunday night. We have asked that those who wish to have their
thoughts included in deliberations about the areas of Frameworks,
Domains, Applications, Requirements and Deliverables use the thread
names suggested and give us their thoughts in that way so that we can
easily get to them for collecting, considering and archiving.

URI and URN questions, as well as namespace questions are not
specifically included in that group, although they will come up in
many. As Manos and Sean and some others investigated yesterday, and
as Karl Best informed us, we have several options in terms of
establishing our namespace and the resources structure within which
our XML Schemata and RDF Schemata will function.

One question which came up was longevity, and I suspect that we need
to establish ties to as many academic and governmental computer
installations as possible in order to ensure that our DISTRIBUTED
repository structure will have a life of its own as long as the
Internet does at least. Tying ourselves to OASIS or any specific
industry consortium or group or association, is fraught with the
typical dangers of business in general and the politics of consortia
in particular. They are actually fairly stable, but while OASIS is a
bit of an exception, they tend to be braking mechanisms, serving to
prolong the shelf life of extant business product.