Subject: RE: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

That's fine.  It is the agreements to coordinate that
terrify me.  We don't have much to hook to yet and
HumanML is already receiving too much attention from
an uninformed punditry.  Informed punditry may be worse. :-)

I'm not dissing SW efforts.  I just don't want to have
to do that footwork until we have a solid hold on the
domains we are capturing.   We did a lot of work in
phase 0 on aspects of that to find the commonalities
among different efforts to analyse and classify human
communications.  If we can focus on that, then in the
upcoming meeting, the TC has a reasonable consensus
to work with.  Otherwise, it comes down to just a few
people voting their favorite things instead of a
consensus on the scope of the work.  The big criticism
and the one that is most valid about this project
is a lack of focus.   Focus is not a one time decision.
It is a scope done once, then moved when the area of
focus is understood.   How do we know when it is understood?
The best we can say is we have a working and usable
property set defined and documented.   Then if a new
focus reveals errors in our earlier understanding,
we don't start from scratch.

I'm willing to bet based on the number of you who
are XML book authors that most of you know how to
deal with XML Schemas, therefore, can evaluate that
model quickly and ask succinct questions.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard