Subject: Re: Tragedy

I've replied to the previous "good bye" thread offlist, to wit:

My response had _nothing_ to do with any single post.  Only the plethora
of posts and speculations peppering this list hourly.  No single culprit
and now myself included having to revisit a simple, but I reassert, apt
point: we have work to do. I think the Penrose et al work is just as
valid as any researched document.

Perhaps if HumanMarkup could include a tag that says "It's not all about
you" or "you--generally speaking, aka vous en francais . . . "

Please folks, my Ph.D. is in Vedic/Sanskrit.  I empathize about the
passion of the human condition and what we might do, but basic to a
specification, even one for what is "human" is going to ride best on
precision, not passion.  Much as the latter is more lyrical, the former
produces deliverables.

And, again, _none_ of this is directed at any single post.

Pax.

jr

Kurt Cagle wrote:

> I'd just as soon keep the list going. To put it bluntly, the dead are dead,
> and any goodwill gesture of respect won't really make any difference to
> anyone at this point.
>
> Concerning the comment that John Gardner raised, I wouldn't necessarily
> dismiss out of hand the sometimes parenthetical discussions that go on. We
> each of us have different priorities with this spec. Len's intent with the
> original spec was largely the encoding of gestural communication, and I
> respect both the integrity of this and the thought put into it; Rex's and
> Paul's commentary likewise have a great deal of merit (everyone's does, come
> to that; Sean brings a relational viewpoint that I sometimes have trouble
> following, but is important nonetheless). I'm something of a gadfly
> myself -- the amount of original innovation I'm likely to produce on this
> list will not be huge (though I think there is merit to some things I've
> said) -- but I do offer a fresh perspective sometimes on issues and will
> occasionally attempt to goad people out of viewpoints that I don't agree
> with. Doesn't always work (and it can piss the hell out of people
> sometimes), but I find that sometimes with a fairly mundane intelligence
> like mine I can still provide an interesting word or three.
>
> -- Kurt

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|
John Robert Gardner			|
Deconstruction Architect		| To live is
Technology Office, IT			| The rarest thing
Sun Microsystems Inc., UBUR02-306	| In the world:
1 Network Drive				|
Burlington, MA  01803-0903		| Most people exist
Ph. 781-730-4012/#6-9482 fax 442-1539	| That is all
e-mail  john.robert.gardner@sun.com	|
http://vedavid.org/diss/
OPINIONS AND VIEWS NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF SUN MICROSYSTEMS, ET AL