Subject: Fwd: RE: [humanmarkup] RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-artifact

Title: Fwd: RE: [humanmarkup] RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base
Hi All,

I just got out of a long teleconference call and now I'm out the door, but I got this from Phil, looked at it, saw that it is a uml class diagram of a way to see xml working as a grammar, and if you replace the concept of verb class with a set of collections of methods that the nouns can use, you will get a data model that very closely approximates what I was envisioning during our last meeting.

What Len has said remains true, xml is a collection of nouns for the most part in the sense that signal is a name for a very verb-like action--creating an interruption that can be codified to transmit information, but the methods available to use on or with the nouns create programs, and I think having an underlying structure to the language that supports multiple kinds of grammars, i.e. cultural grammar, VR-H-Anim behavior grammar,etc.  WITHOUT expliciting writing it into the language per se, is a good idea.

Such as what we have said about artifact having as one of its attributes the ability to convey meaning, if not explicit information.

From: "Rossomando, Philip" <Philip.Rossomando@unisys.com>
To: "'Rex Brooks'" <rexb@starbourne.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:37:36 -0400
Rex:

I sent you a model of what I had done several days ago.
I couldn't post to the HumanMarkup List Server. I don't
have permission. As I read more about schemas I see
that they really represent objects. Now one thing I was
wondering is are you familiar with rule based expert
systems? In these contexts, procedural knowledge
is expressed as objects. Thus, I would think that we
could define a rule as an XML object with a Left and a
right half. One could then use in inference engine to
execute them.

Phil

PS. Rex what exactly are you looking for from me? I am
not sure I am on the right track with what you are expecting.