Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: [uiml-discuss] RE: founding member

When I subscribed to this list, it was under the distinct impression
that the purpose of the list was to create a UIML, and I waited to
see what would happen. My involvement with HumanMarkup dictated that
much.

When the announcement for the first proposed meeting, thus creating a
deadline for joining this TC contained reference links to UIML at
Harmonia, I looked at it and did a double take. I had no idea that
the language not only already existed but that Harmonia was offering
products using the language and hosting a uiml.org.

Having gone through the process of bringing an initiative into OASIS
with the HumanMarkup TC, I understood to a certain extent the
motivation, but there is a big difference between bringing an
initiative into OASIS in order to have a secure, IPR protected,
environment in which to create a language in an open, public forum,
than it is a bit different to bring an existing language into OASIS.

This is more akin to what the late Topic Maps organization did,
except that they did not create their specification in a process that
I had never heard about, despite the fact that I have been
researching everything I could that would have a bearing on
individual human user information, which one would expect a User
Interface Markup Language to be concerned with to a very large degree.

I had thought this TC might be a place where HumanMarkup could
contribute some important work in relation to the human side of the
interface.

I have not made up my mind about the UIML TC yet. I'm still listening.

HumanMarkup would needs be required, without recourse, to accommodate
this language in some way if it became a widely adopted standard, and
we already have W3C, HR-XML.org, ISO, the Web 3D Consortium, NIST and
the various OASIS TCs: CIG, ebXML, Topic Maps Published Subjects,
Topic Maps, Web Servicesfor Interactive Applications, Web Services
for Remote Portal and the Security/Access Control TCs  occupying our
attention in our effort to be certain that we are interoperable and
not in conflict with these vocabularies and processes. So, I am
inclined to agree with Angel.

At this point, I need a fairly substantial reason, such as imminent
industry adoption in tandem with a significant lowering of
computational overhead in complying with established transport
protocols in order to sign on to this effort.

At the very least, this effort will have to make its work
interoperable with all the aforementioned efforts and decrease the
difficulty and complexity level of deploying its workproducts in
association with the listed organizations' workproducts.

I personally have too much work on my plate with webmastering two TCs
and serving as Secretary and Vice Chair of HumanMarkup TC in addition
to the webmastering  task, to take on another commitment.

If you all can make my jobs easier, I'm all for it. If not, then I'm
not for it.

l would have been a lot happier to have input earlier in the making
of a UIML that truly represents the best interests of the User at
least as well as the vendors of products designed to deliver
commercial products to users.

I am copying this to the Humanmarkup public comment list in the hope
that someone out there has the time to at least monitor this UIML
effort so that we will not be obliged to retrofit our specifications
to accommodate it if it becomes necessary, or to actively liaise if
it appears wise and possibly fruitful.

At 9:43 AM -0400 10/10/02, Angel Luis Diaz wrote:

>I find that the goals of this proposed TC is very similar to the work going
>on in the W3C's XHTML+XForms+XML Events where they describe UI "purpose"
>and not concrete UIs. I would prefer to see the industry augment those
>standards if needed rather than creat new ones.
>
>Angel
>

>James Helms <jhelms@harmonia.com> on 10/09/2002 01:38:51 PM
>
>To:    Hedyalb@aol.com
>cc:    uiml-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
>Subject:    [uiml-discuss] RE: founding member
>

>Hedy,
>
>Thanks  for volunteering!  We will definitely include you as a founding
>member of  the TC!  As we move forward we will have to coordinate on
>scheduling our  first meeting.
>
>Thanks  again!
>
>James Helms
>
>Director of Services
>Harmonia, Inc

President, CEO, Starbourne Communications Design,
Executive Director, Humanmarkup.org, Inc.
Vice Chair, Secretary, Webmaster, OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee
Webmaster, OASIS Web Services for Interactive Applications Technical Committee